A Forum Dedicated to Rice Lake's Residents, Visitors and Admirers

You are not connected. Please login or register

who is your internet provider?

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1 who is your internet provider? on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:16 pm

i am currently still on dial-up and i am looking to change internet providers and move to a high speed service.... obviously i am in bewdley

i was wondering what board members are using and if you are pleased with the service....thanks in advance for any responses

terry

View user profile

2 Re: who is your internet provider? on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:28 pm

We use Nexicom wireless and we are VERY happy with their service. when we were in transition between our old house and this one, we had to rent for several months. We had Xplornet then. there service was... ok, not terrific, but better then dial up.

Nexicom, is however on the north shore, we are lucky there is a tower at holiday pines. not sure if there are towers near that end of the lake, but give em a call and find out. others are of coarse Xplornet and Cable Cable in Peterborough. They use the large TV tower, so they can broadcast far.

is there any wired access in Bewdley? IE rogers, bell or cogeco?

View user profile http://ricelake.canadian-forum.com

3 Re: who is your internet provider? on Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:41 pm

We went with the Turbo Hub from Bell. It runs off of the 3G cellular service and we also use the telephone option as well which gives us unlimited Canadian calling for $40 per month. Works quite well and it's portable so if we travel (In Canada), we can simply unplug it and take it with us! (it's about the size of a small portable hard drive). Offers direct plug-in and wireless as wel. Worth checking into (I beleive that Rogers offers a similar product)

View user profile http://www.shimmycrazy.com

4 Re: who is your internet provider? on Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:34 pm

According to the " cognescenti " on our street - we are three season type people.
We haul our laptop to the house on the river and use a Rogers Speed Stick plug in.
Service is slowish c.f. at home. So far power outages don't affect the service.
36$ something a month, however it is portable

We wouldn't spring for a telephone landline ( $30 / mo ) needed for internet service via cable. This added cost would jump our internet cable service to $60 something.
We use pay as you go mobile phone service
Not very modern but we get by

View user profile

5 Re: who is your internet provider? on Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:00 pm

freeline... where are you? check this out....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

another thing i like about nexicom is that they offer off season rates. IE you only pay 30 bones a month when disconnected.

if you are in their area, this is 100000000X better then any stick, and no worries about bandwidth usage. also, as far as your cell phone goes, do you happen to have an iphone or blackberry?

one thing users of these sticks don't realize is that the sticks are really just phones. so if they have a berry or iphone, they are really paying more for the same things. my iphone serves as my stick when i am on business, i tether it. it is very VERY easy.

Let me know if anyone has questions on net, nexicom, sticks of tethering. I know lots about it, and can often offer some ideas to save some $$$.

View user profile http://ricelake.canadian-forum.com

6 Re: who is your internet provider? on Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:55 am

Actually, my phone is just a phone.
With SpeakOut ( via 7-11 stores, piggy backing on the Rogers signal )I pay 25 cents a min.for calls more if long distance. I use about 150 dollars a year in phone costs related to the Rice lake prop.
As well the Rogers stick costs 36 / month.
I opted for the SpeakOut plan that allowed internet access but my phone was so crapola at the internet ( small screen, limited access - the dat a paln was $10 / mo. ).

My stick contract is for three years but I'm willing to consider other options.

Thnx

P.S. the above info means I'm paying $ 48 dollars per month - getting phone service when I want
and portable internet.

View user profile

7 Re: who is your internet provider? on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:08 pm

We live between Bewdley and Gores Landing, and just had Airnet installed and it seems to work fine. The previous owners also used it and recommended it. They have different packages available (Basic, Silver, Gold, Platinum), each tier has more GB. We chose silver which is $45/mo with 2-yr contract. For more info contact Airnet Wireless at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] , 1-877-534-0021. Good luck!

View user profile

8 Re: who is your internet provider? on Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:10 pm

Rapers, oops, I mean Rogers.

Dirk

View user profile

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum